Sunday, February 20, 2005

Day two at the NMI Dash for Cash

Our Name the Puppy contest is still running. Email your suggestions to nameoursleddog@canada.com and enter to win a prize.

It was another beautiful day today, although it was again too hot to run the dogs.

Instead, we went to the NMI Dash for Cash. These are sprint races, and they don't last long, so it was an okay temperature for the dogs that were competing. I think that the average time for the six mile race was nine minutes. Not a long run at all.

We had several friends that were competing, not to mention the kids of one of our friends, too. This is the friend that we loaned our sled to. Here are his son and daughter taking off from the start. I don't know if it is obvious in these pictures or not, but the start line was at the top of a fairly steep hill. It was amazing that every racer that we saw managed to stay on their sled.

Kim

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Alex

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It wasn't long before the racers rounded the corner to the finish line. Both of these kids were working as hard as the dogs and they take their racing quite seriously. The finished middle of the pack, which is pretty good, especially since this is their first year with dogs.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was hoping to get out with the dogs tonight since it is a much better temperature. -14C. Unfortunately, my headlamp isn't strong enough, so I can't see much on the trail. I could take my chances, I guess, but I'd sure hate to run into a low hanging branch or the two moose that have been spotted around here.

So, for today, we had to get our dogsledding fix from the sidelines.

No comments: