Friday, March 18, 2005

A variety of subjects

After several weeks of near-spring to spring like weather, the temperature has finally dropped to a more seasonal -18 at night. As of yet, however, I have not managed to get out with the dogs. I think that the trails are a bit too icey to be safe right now. It isn't that we'd be going too fast, after all, I have a brake but more the case of risking injury to the dogs. Conditions like this can lead to shoulder and wrist injuries as well as cuts on the front of their feet or on the bottom of their feet. I have decided that since we are not training for a race I should maybe make the more judicious decision to stay home for now. So close and yet...

I had thought that since the dogsledding is at more or less of a standstill at the moment, I would post some pictures of the northern lights that we have been seeing these last few nights. However, my night-time photography is not what it should be so the photos wouldn't be much to look at. Take my word for it, though, the lights have been stunning lately. It makes a midnight trip to the outhouse a bit more enjoyable.

There is only one week left in our Name the Puppy contest and I can tell you that I am glad we have decided to pull the names from a hat -- there are some very good ones that have been suggested. I wasn't sure who would enter; I expected some family, some family friends perhaps, but I was really surprised by the entry from Texas and the classroom of kids from Sudbury, Ontario. Below is a more recent photo of the yet-to-be-named puppy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As I learn more about this Blogging business, I am trying to make the site more user-friendly and treat it more like a website than a diary. Soon, I hope to have a link to our dogs, so that the team is easily viewed with one click. I also want to try and keep you, the reader, more involved. I hope to have things like this contest for you to participate in so that you are more than just a reader of the site. I would welcome any ideas that you may have, so please use the contact links on the right-hand sidebar.

I think that we are going to try and find a home for Bluegrass, our last aquisition. She is not a bad sleddog at all, in fact, we have seen a great improvement in her ability since she has come to us, but she just doesn't mesh with our other dogs. I have a person in mind who I would like to offer her to. He, his wife and his kids are all mushers of varying degrees and I think that Bluegrass would find a place there quite easily.

Our neighbour is planning a camping trip for this coming weekend. He is going to be going on the Yukon River from Dawson to Eagle, Alaska with his eight puppies. I think he said that he has a friend coming from his hometown who has not really been on a dogsled before. What a way to start! This section of trail is part of the Yukon Quest trail. We also have another friend who is planning a camping trip in April with her dogs. She is going with some of her friends for an easy-paced, try out the new gear trip. I wonder if there is room for another person? If she is reading this...

There is not much else going on with the dogs. We are back to kibble in the morning and evening feedings. I had been given about thirty pounds of fish from work that was a big help and the dogs got this in the mornings. And, speaking of kibble, the puppy has started to eat soaked kibble, too. I guess it won't be long before Ruby has her completely weaned.

2 comments:

dogsled_stacie said...

Hey Evan - of course there's room on the camping trip! I think it would be a blast and a great, fun bunch of people. So far, there's 7 of us lined up (you included). Can Jenn and Hunter join us?

There will be so much damned dog talk, our heads will be spinning!

So... you have 2 weeks to get working on that cooker of yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi
This is from the whyte family we like your site very much and find it very intresting We would like more information on how to become mushers we have 2 dogs they are Alaskan Husky and Duch shepard and Husky we would love to start training them to become Slead dogs but have no idea were to start and we are hoping you can become our friends and help us please our Email is thewholefamdamily@hotmail.com please feel free to talk any time Thank you for everything bye for now the Whyte Family