Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bunnies, Chicken and Fish oh my!

A few days ago, when Jenn and I were actually home together and preparing to have dinner, there was a knock at our door. We knew it wouldn't be our neighbours as they call before they come over, or at the very least, they ride over, very slowly, on their 4-wheeler as a means of announcing their arrival. I highly doubted it would be any of our friends stopping in, and besides, it didn't sound like a knock my friends would make: it was tentative, as though the knocker were unsure at the last second if this was such a good idea, after all. I went to the door and there was a lady standing there, very apologetic looking, and before I could say anything, she said "You have dogs, right?" The humour of her question was not apparent to her, but to me, looking out over her shoulder and into my dog yard, not a hundred yards beyond our house, I couldn't help but smile. I thought to myself that she was either here to ask about buying a dog or to complain and although we don't sell dogs routinely, I would have rather dealt with that question than a complaint. However, she had driven into the yard in an unfamiliar car and had walked, in plain view of the dogs, to the house and yet, not one dog barked. I don't even think that she saw the dog yard. So I doubted she was here to complain.

"Is one of your dogs missing?" she asked. I had, minutes before, just come in from feeding the dogs and I knew that they were all there, so I said that no, we were not missing a dog but thanks for asking. Jenn, by this point, had come to the door and she and the lady, Diane, as we later were introduced, began to discuss this loose dog that had been dropped off at her place. She was pretty sure that someone had come out and dumped their dog; "it happens all the time." she claimed. Before I could wish her luck finding the owners of the dog or suggesting that she call the shelter, Jenn had offered for us to go over and pick up the dog because we have the room for him. So, now we have eighteen dogs and a stray who has made it pretty clear that he has no intention of leaving. He has more than ingratiated himself to Hunter and Jenn; he has a tendancy to come when called, even though we haven't a clue as to his name and he is by far the 'lickiest' dog I have ever encountered. Non-stop, in fact. The only thing that goes more than his tounge is his tail which can sweep a mug of coffee off the table, a bowl of soup, and pots with plants in them off the windowsill. I think that his tounge and tail are somehow connected for they seem to work in concert: the harder the tail wagging, the more furious the tounge licking. If you are somehow missing a dog, or know who this guy belongs to, please, come and get him! I don't think I can take much more slurping. Here he is, just in case you might recognize him.

The stray dog we have somehow adopted.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



This weekend, I managed to complete the bunny pen. It was more than past due. Certainly the rabbit must be happy. When we got him, he was in a rabbit cage that was pretty small and he stayed there until Jenn started leaving the door open so he could have the run of the back hall and bathroom. The rabbit patrolled this area faithfully and would chase Molly, the cat; a cat, I might add, that not only will not back down from a dog, but who also killed a weasle a few winters ago with a single, well placed bite on the neck.

It was while I was in the midst of putting up the fence that my friend dropped by. He was in to show me his new truck, but when he saw the fence going up he wandered over, curious as to what I was doing. "It's a bunny pen." I said by way of explanation. He asked how big the bunny was. I guess the pen is a bit large: it is 24 feet by 24 feet in dimension. There is only one bunny in it right now.

The Bunny and the Bunny Pen:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



I told my friend that it could also hold a goat, should Jenn see a kid that she wanted. Maybe even chickens, I continued. At this, my friend mentioned that his brother was selling a few of his chickens and he asked if I wanted any. I said that I wasn't really ready for them as I have no place to house them yet but I'd ask Jenn and get back to him. I really ought to know by now that to ask Jenn about getting animals is useless. Of course we have room. And, so, this morning found me barely finished my coffee, still bleary-eyed from a short nights sleep, ripping two by fours into two by twos and building a chicken tractor.

A bit about chicken tractors, which, unlike the name suggests, is not a wee piece of farm machinery suitable for a chicken. It is, rather, a portable chicken coop with no floor. It is a great idea, actually, and allows one to move the chickens from spot to spot so they have a clean area as well as fresh grass and weeds to eat. This chicken tractor is only a temporary measure until the larger area is built. Mine, which is a fine example of carpentry, was cobbled together quickly out of scrap lumber, an old tarp and just about every screw I could find. I was even reduced to using roofing screws for part of it. I shouldn't complain: it cost me absolutely nothing to build it. It measures 8' long by 4' wide by 3' high.

Chicken Tractor and Chickens:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Chicken Tractor and the Bunny Run - for size comparison.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Not only did I build the chicken tractor today, but I was in a rush because it was our first run of the season down to Killarney for fish. I had hoped that we could all go, the three of us, and have lunch at the fish and chip stand but I took a lot longer to finish my little construction project and Jenn had to leave for work so it was just Hunter and I who went down. Hunter likes going to Killarney to see the big boats that come in. There have been, in the past, some fairly impressive yachts, catamarans and sailboats in the harbour but there were none today. The fisheries people had saved us two and half packers of fish though so as far as I was concerned, the trip was worth it. Hunter was a little disappointed at not seeing the big boats: she had dreamt of them last night, even, but she got over it. I had the camera with me in case we saw moose or bear or other wildlife, but there was nothing other than the palest, slinkiest, skittish-est fox I have ever seen. It was the color of tea with milk in it, not the usual red and it ran in such a manner that it looked like a weasle. I did get a good look at it on the side of the road where it stopped, so I knew it was a fox but it didn't hang around for a picture.

Even though we were in a rush today and there were no boats to look at, apart from a locals twelve footer with a kicker on it, Hunter and I got out for a bit of a walk down to the water.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

dogsled_stacie said...

Holy huge bunny pen!!!!

You guys are very adept at accumulating animals. I can't wait to see what animals I get (can't say no to) when I move to the new place!! Chickens would be great, but I would fear for their lives on a daily basis.

Oh, and "new dog" is adorable!! Congrats on your new addition(s).