Saturday, June 23, 2007

Little, tiny work gloves.

When I woke up this morning, it looked a lot like rain. Even the weather from Environment Canada seemed to be calling for some showers. Nevertheless, I sped into town to get my roofing screws; I ran out yesterday and being so close to finishing the roof, I was not going to have the rain slow my progress today. I made the mistake of buying inch-and-a-half screws, instead of the two inch that I would need later, when it came time to put on the ridge cap. Of course, I didn't realize this until it was time to put the cap on, by which time I had used nearly half of the box of the shorter screws, so it was back into town -- half an hour each way -- for a ten dollar box of screws.

With the last screw in the ridge cap, the major construction phase of the chicken coop came to an end. The door is on, the window is in, which now leaves the insulating; the interior finishing: panelling, nesting boxes, electrical and a roost; the fence and related gates. Not much, really.

The chicken coop, minus the door:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



I can't leave Jenn alone for a second. The other day, I turned my back for an instant and when I turned back, we were the owners of a new bunny. I had made the mistake of agreeing to let Hunter go to PetsMart to play with the kittens through the glass; sometimes, if we are close by and Hunter has been good, this is her treat. She pulls out the long feather-duster-looking toys from the display and waves them at the cats in the store. They bat at the air, follow the toy with their jerky head movements and generally entertain her. This day, Hunter was the distraction while Jenn went and adopted a bunny. I think the pair of them had it planned for a while because it was pulled off with such ease and subtlety. However, the two bunnies seem to be getting along, once the chasing, stamping and kicking fits ended.

The new bunny: ('Peter' to any who need to know it's name.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Lately, Hunter has been helping me feed the dogs. She really likes to come out and put on her little work gloves, which I didn't even know existed. They are hilarious: wee little work gloves. Anyway, since we feed fish to the dogs, it is nice to have a pair of gloves so that we are not going through a tube of toothpaste every week. Yes, I said toothpaste. I have found out that it is the only thing that gets the smell of fish off your hands. One of the employees at Herbert Fisheries told me this, and I guess he'd know.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



When Hunter helps me feed the dogs, I don't have to do a thing, except carry the fish bucket and feed Dart and Horton; even Horton could be fed by her. Hunter likes to root around in the bucket and then make sure she has the perfect piece for each dog, which she'll double check with me. Then, she'll walk through the dogs' area and put the chunk of fish on their house. I find the whole thing rather funny and I am really happy that she likes to do this.

Rooting around for that 'perfect' piece:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Feeding

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Proud of herself and happy to have helped.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool work gloves, eh?! I found them in Lindsay for her! I couldn't resist them. Hope all is well, can't wait to see everyone again. Love, Beck