Saturday, February 24, 2007

This is what happens...

Yesterday was go-get-meat day. I drove to South River with a friend of mine, who just happened to be going there as well. I picked up 300lbs of specially formulated winter feed. It is supposed to be a good mixture and the people I bought it off of seem to have good results, but I thought that I'd just buy a small amount and try it out first. I was gone longer than I had planned on being away, and I felt a little bad because Jenn worked at night and she was at the house by herself. I had dropped Hunter off for a day of play with a friend of hers.

This is what happens when I leave Jenn unsupervised for the day.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Yes, the picture is a poor one; it is blurry and the background is a disaster, but that is a direct result of the circumstances: six dogs, at once, including two puppies, in the house. Even if they were calm pet dogs I think that most would agree six at once is perhaps excessive. Actually, there were really only five dogs to watch out for; Olive decided that she would rather keep an eye on the rabbit. She tells me it didn't go very far.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I came home to find Jenn gone, all the dogs back at their tie-outs and the house looking like we'd just hosted the party of the year. At least they got a walk to burn off some energy prior to coming into the house.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Today I left the house early and went to help set the race trail for the Markstay-Warren race. We finally have enough snow to try again. The difficulty is that the race is being held in a series of joining farm fields. There is not a lot of protection from the wind and the snow has a tendency to blow across the fields and away. At any rate, the bit of a base that we had managed to groom a few weeks ago was more or less intact and it helped us improve the trail to the point that the race would be runnable tomorrow. Jenn had told a regular customer of hers that we would be happy to have them come out and see the dogs today, so I left half-way through the trail work to come back and run two teams of dogs for these people. It was a very short trip, just around our property, but they seemed to like it anyway. I think that they were more interested in just seeing the dogs but let themselves be talked into going out.

Ruby sure was happy to go. Here she is showing her excitement. (She's the one in the air)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I hadn't noticed Jenn take the picture, but it is good that she did because it is interesting to see how high Ruby jumps when she's harnessed and on the line. Freak. The last photo is of one of our guests and I rounding the corner towards the dog kennel.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We have another person and his son(s) coming out tomorrow for a dogsled ride and lunch. I have just put some moose in a marinade for skewering. It's quick and easy and aside from making the actual skewers and cooking, it's done.

Not a lot to write this time. Hopefully, I'll do something exciting one of these days.

Here are a few shots of some of our dogs:


Taiga
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jinx
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Baby - one of the puppies
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

5 comments:

dogsled_stacie said...

Holy crap! Jinx MUST be a dog from that Jack breeding?!? Looks exactly like him. Looong legs!

How old are the 2 pups? Very nice too! Hmm... how many damned dogs do you have now?!? :)

Evan said...

Jinx is one of Jacks. Chili looks a lot like Jack, too. Taiga is sister to both. I am working on a "dogs of ours" page, so more will be explained soon.

The two puppies were born 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and are nearly the size of half our dogs. Already. Oh no.

We have 18 now. Including Hudson.

dogsled_stacie said...

Hudson! Right - was that him loose in one of the photos? I thought he didn't get along with the other dogs? Or, has he mellowed with age like Kuna? :)

Evan said...

Yep - that's Hudson.

He gets along with females and puppies. He has mellowed a bit, but I still don't like him around the males.

dogsled_stacie said...

Oh, and GREAT launch of Ruby's into space - that is amazing, she is totally above the other dogs head!