Sunday, April 01, 2007

The seasonal shift is underway

So, what do a pair of mushers do when the season finally melts away? Why, they go to a dog show in the morning and then have their musher friends over for dinner so they can talk about dogs. We manage.

The Coniston dog show was on this weekend and although I am not a really a fan of dog shows per se, I will go to gawk at the parallel universe. I say parallel universe because although dogs figure largely in the lives of these people, these lives are so far removed from ours. I have a whole tirade about dog shows and the Canadian and American Kennel Clubs and how their are ruining certain dog breeds by what they are selecting as Best in Class and Best in Show, but I'll not say more for now, except: you would be hard pressed to see a dog with any appreciable muscling on it at (this particular) dog show. Oh! to have the decadent life of a show dog. The primping and preening rivals the backstage of the Paris runways, I bet. We have a friend who raises Siberian Huskies for show and sale and he was supposed to be at the show but we missed the Working Group as the judging was held on Friday. I understand that there were only two Siberian kennels there, anyway, so I guess his chances of winning Best in Class were good; 50/50 odds aren't bad.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Jenn, Hunter and I wandered around the floor (it was held in the Coniston Arean) to get a better look at some of the dogs. A few folks were kind enough to let us take pictures of their dogs and others were too serious to stop to chat. We didn't stay for very long; there is only so much dog-and-handler prancing I can take. What a funny world.

Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I'm not trying to bad mouth the show circut. My issues lie with the Kennel Clubs and their setting of 'breed standards' but the show kennels themselves display a lot of committment to their dogs; I mean, some people drove for hours to sit in a dimly lit arena bathing, blow-drying and brushing their dogs. I don't do that at home.

Here are some of the dogs we saw at the show:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Hunter waiting patiently in the truck while a librarian that rivals a slug in speed 'helps' me find a book.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




We had James and his girlfriend over for dinner. James had been Lou Serre's handler this winter and I met him while working on the race. He is an American who has wanted to move to Canada for quite a while and after meeting Monique, his girlfriend, this winter he has finally started to climb the mountain of paperwork involved in immigrating.

Monique and James brought Emily, Moniques three year old daughter to dinner. Hunter was excited all day at the prospect of having a new friend to play with. The two of them were immediate friends and happily played away together until 23h00 when James and Monique decided it was time to go.

James and Monique

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Hunter and Emily around the fruit tray

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Hunter and Emily, in serious pre-dinner conversation

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Playing with bubbles

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Until the frost comes out of the ground and we get our projects in line, I think our lives will be a bit on the boring side. Jenn is looking at different breeders of goats, however; who knows, maybe we'll have another kid around here soon.

4 comments:

dogsled_stacie said...

Dog shows, weird! That dog (the 3rd one with the HUGE snout) is totally freaky looking.

Hunter and her friend must mean business - they even dress alike!!! :)

Evan said...

The dog didn't really have that big a snout, it's more the angle I think. That was the only thing big about it, though. A short coat like that and you can't even see a hint of muscle. Too bad. Looks like he could run miles if he was in shape. I know I'm harping, but still...

Hunter and Emilie (as I have been informed is how you REALLY spell her name) got along really well. It wasn't just the clothes that matched.

Evan said...

Okay, I went back and looked. Third one down is the terrier; Probably can't go miles. There was another bull terrier (I think) there with an even bigger snout. The eyes were all pinched in and odd-looking. Looked more like it had been conked on the head and was super-swollen. I wonder what the blind spot in front of their nose is?

mama said...

OMG Hunter looks SO much older than the last time I saw her! She is adorable! Thank you so much for the baby gifts for Ryley. I sent out some pictures of the monsters on Wednesday so they should get there eventually. Talk to you soon, Nicki-Jo